Pujara achieves these milestones on his way to century
File image (Twitter)
Adelaide: Cheteshwar Pujara gave an outstanding performance on Thursday as he scored a superb ton against Australia to help India end day one of the opening Test at 250/9.Also Read:Adelaide Test: Pujara's ton help struggling India reach 250/9 on Day 1
The 30-year-old batsman posted a wonderfully patient and composed 123 off 246 deliveries before being run out off the last ball of the day. His stay in the middle was studded with seven boundaries and two hits into the stands.Interestingly, Pujara, on his way to century, accomplished many milestones. Check them here:
- Pujara now has 16 centuries and 19 fifties to his name.
- With this century, the right-hander has equalled former India captain Sourav Ganguly, who also had 16 centuries in Tests.
- In the course of his innings, Pujara completed 5000 Test runs. He took 108 innings to reach the milestone - fifth-fastest by an Indian cricketer along with Rahul Dravid.
- Incidentally, Pujara and Rahul Dravid have reached the 3000, 4000 and 5000-run mark in Test innings in equal number of innings.
- Pujara also became sixth Indian cricketer to have scored a century on the opening day of a tour outside Asia. Vijay Manjrekar, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay are other five who have achieved this feat.
- Indian players hitting 100 on the opening day of a tour outside Asia:
- V Manjrekar 133 Leeds 1952
- S Tendulkar 155 Bloemfontein 2001
- V Sehwag 105 B’tein 2001
- V Kohli 119 Joburg 2013
- M Vijay 122 Trent Bridge 2014
- V Kohli 143 North Sound 2016
- C PUJARA 123 Adelaide 2018
- He also became the fourth No 3 from India to score a century in Australia.
- It was Pujara's third century against Australia and the maiden on Australian soil.
- The 41-run stand between Pujara and Rishabh Pant was the highest 6th wicket partnerships by India in Australia after losing 5 wickets for below 100.