Indian pacer Shardul Thakur accuses selectors of miscommunication
India pacer Shardul Thakur’s short international career so far has been marred with several injuries. Last year, he had a disastrous Test debut. Picked in the playing eleven for the first Test against Windies at home, the Mumbai pacer could not even bowl two overs before walking off the field due to an injury. He did not return to the field thereafter and could not find a spot in any of the squads for the ongoing tour of Australia.
Prior to the disastrous Test debut, he had suffered an injury setback in the Asia Cup too where he had to bail out midway after complaining of a right hip-groin soreness. Well, Thakur recently made an impressive return to action after spending nearly two months on the sidelines.
On Tuesday, he starred with the ball for Mumbai, picking up 4 for 47 as the hosts bowled out Chhattisgarh for just 149 in the second innings of their Round 9 match of the Ranji Trophy. Thakur finished the game with 8 for 79 which has put Mumbai on the verge of winning the game with a bonus point.
Thakur claims miscommunication
But amidst all this, he made a startling revelation. The right-arm pacer has insisted that the national selectors have not communicated with him since he returned from injury.
“No one has spoken to me yet,” Thakur was quoted as saying by The Times of India.
Interestingly, there was no national selector present at the venue to see how the fast bowler is performing after recovering from injury. Thakur is not the first player to accuse the selectors of miscommunications in recent months. Last year, Murali Vijay and Karun Nair had accused the MSK Prasad-led panel of the same.
Thakur also spoke about his fitness levels and how his bowling is shaping up. “I’m getting better every game, every day. The way I bowled against Vidarbha (his first game since coming back from injury), on Days One and Two was different. I improved on Day Two. Here at Wankhede, I improved from the last game,” the pacer said.
BCCI source contradict
While Thakur is accusing the selectors of not keeping a tab on him, a BCCI source has claimed otherwise and said that the selectors have been in touch with Thakur from the very moment he was in the reckoning to return to action.
“The selectors have been speaking to him from the time he was set to return to action, in Mumbai’s Ranji Trophy game against Vidarbha at Nagpur on New Year’s Eve. He’s been told that he should keep himself ready to play for India A for the limited over and ‘Test’ series against the England Lions at home,” he told TOI.
Thakur has so far played five ODIs and seven T20Is for India, picking up a total of 14 international wickets.