What made Judge UU Lalit exit the politically sensitive Ayodhya case
ABP News 2019-01-10 14:36:00
The apex court took the decision after senior counsel Rajeev Dhawan, appearing for one of the Muslim parties, told the bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi that Justice Lalit in 1994 appeared for former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh in one of the matters related to the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi dispute. Kalyan Singh was found guilty and was awarded imprisonment for one day with a fine of Rs 20,000. Kalyan Singh is currently the Rajasthan Governor.
Dhawan said he personally did not object to the presence of Justice Lalit but the latter voluntarily decided to opt out of the case.
With the recusal of Judge UU Lalit, the hearing in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid title dispute case has now been deferred till January 29 prompting Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi to set up a new bench.
Important things to know about 61-year-old Justice Uday U Lalit
- Justice Uday U Lalit’s father U.R. Lalit was a former additional judge of the High Court of Delhi and is a senior counsel practising at Supreme Court of India
- Lalit had appeared in several high-profile cases involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan in the blackbuck poaching case
- He has appeared for former Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh in a corruption related case
- Also appeared for former Gujarat Minister Amit Shah in the 2005 Sohrabuddin fake encounter case
- Army chief General VK Singh in the case relating to his date of birth.
- Justice Uday U Lalit is the 6th senior advocate ever to be directly elevated to the Supreme Court
- He will retire on 8 November 2022
Know more in the video below: