Saudi Arabia releases statement on epidemic among Haj pilgrims
Abu Dhabi: Saudi Arabia has declared that no incident of outbreak of epidemic has been reported so far during the Hajj this year. According to a report by Saudi Press Agency, Health Minister Taufik al-Rabia said that the health of all pilgrims is fine and so far no case of outbreak of the epidemic has come to light.
According to the news agency Xinhua, he stressed that a number of schemes have been implemented with the help of other countries to ensure the safety of Haj pilgrims. "Since 20 million Hajj pilgrims from 102 countries gather here in a limited area, it is necessary to keep away infectious diseases during the Hajj," the General Authority for Statistics said in a statement issued on Saturday at Saudi Press Agency. As many as 18,55,027 foreign travellers and 6,32,133 domestic travellers had arrived for the Haj.
Saudi Arabia has allocated 25 hospitals in Mecca, Medina and other holy sites, with more than 5,000 beds. More than 30,000 health experts are also present to serve pilgrims. Rabiya said the World Health Organization representatives are monitoring the Saudi kingdom's efforts to provide health services to Hajj pilgrims.