Bee Sting Causes Man’s Heart to Fail! Maharashtra Farmer Becomes First Patient to Undergo Heart Transplant After Getting Stung
In most of the cases, Bee sting could be a nuisance. You may suffer temporary sharp pain, swelling, redness, warmth or itching. But it could lead to serious complication. A recent incident leads a man to undergo heart-transplant after a honey bee sting caused his heart to fail. Reportedly, only 20 percent of his heart was functioning before the operation. The Maharashtra farmer who was stung in 2017 becomes Navi Mumbai’s first patient of heart-transplant surgery. Man Dies After Being Stung By Honey Bees: Can Their Stings Kill?
The 33-year-old man, identified as Rajeev Waghmare, was stung by a bee in June, 2017, as reported by TOI. His problems began even since then. After the sting, Waghmare complained chest pain and was immediately taken to the medical care in Ahmednagar. Medical examination and angiography revealed blockages in the coronary vessel. Waghmare underwent medical treatment.
According to mayo clinic, Cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart muscle that makes it hard for your heart to pump blood to the rest of your body. It can even lead to heart failure. Symptoms of Cardiomyopathy are:
- Breathlessness with exertion or even at rest
- Swelling of the legs, ankles and feet
- Bloating of the abdomen due to fluid build-up
- Cough while lying down
- Heartbeats that feel rapid, pounding or fluttering
- Chest discomfort or pressure
- Dizziness, lightheadedness and fainting
In November, 2017, Waghmare’s health problem returned, and this time he went through an angioplasty. Despite the treatment, the farmer had recurrent heart failures. In January, with only 20 percent of his heart functioning, Waghmare was admitted to Apollo Hospital in Belapur. He went through a heart-transplant operation in July after he found a matching donor. Waghmare’s condition is unique considering several blockages in a single artery. The report further states that doctors suggest that this is the first cardiac failure case following a bee sting. The 33-year-old man is currently under medication and is yet to be discharged.